Sunday, August 19, 2012

Adventure #40: Summer Tour 2012 Milwaukee, Wisconsin


Well I finally found my limit. I spent the whole day after the Chicago show feeling totally drained. Thankfully Milwaukee is only a short drive from Chicago so I was able to lay low for a bit. The Milwaukee show at the Art Bar was plagued by problems from the start. There were some massively confusing miscommunications that basically resulted in the local headliner not knowing they were supposed to headline and me having to scramble to find a local with 48 hours notice. Because letting this stuff fall to the touring artist is the best way to make sure it gets solved. But the venue was really cool about the whole thing, and actually quite accommodating. This is my lung being too tired to deal with this crap.


Despite everything, the show ended up being actually kind of fun. The audience participated during all the audience participation parts and there was some really rad back and forth about Scott Walker when I played “Thank You America.” One audience member reminded me (while I was trying to explain exactly that) that Wisconsin pretty much invented Occupy. (George Soros, Obama, the CIA, The Loch Ness Monster, and Ben, but not Jerry, didn't get involved until after the Madison protests last year, as we all know.)

So not the worst show I'd ever played. Far from the best, but you know, a show will have to really work at it to be worse than the time I got a knife pulled on me in New Jersey in the middle of a song when I was 19. Life lesson: when the metalheads at the dive bar heckle you for playing a sad girl song don't heckle back. No good can come of it. So, thankfully unstabbed, we finished the unremarkable show and drove to Madison to stay with an old friend of Joshua's. It looks like the similarly unnecessarily dramatic show in Des Moines is falling apart, so we're now deciding over a feast of pancakes and mimosas whether to take a day off or not. This is Pen Pen being all classy and junk.


This is a song I wrote one time. You should download it and share it with your friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment