Sunday, August 8, 2010

Adventure #1: The Journey to Dusseldorf

Adventure #1: The Journey to Dusseldorf
We left Saturday afternoon from Brooklyn. This is Pen Pen packing.
Our first flight was to Dusseldorf. From there we connect to Athens, then Ioannina then Ianthe (and hopefully Rosy) will come pick us up and we'll drive up to Micro Papingo. The lady at the ticket counter informed me that it was too late to choose a meal. Even the vegetarian meal on planes tends to be gross so I usually ask for either the vegan or the kosher. Dejected, I got an egg salad sandwich at a little kiosk and sat and waited to board. This is Pen Pen waiting.
We got in line and found James. We boarded the plane together, but James wasn't sitting near us. There was a German family with two young daughters sitting near us who thought the idea of a 26 year old punk with a pink mohawk traveling with a stuffed penguin was hilarious. Maybe. We smiled at each other a lot. They seemed nice. This is Pen Pen sitting.
The food came. The vegetarian option was predictable disgusting. Cue stand-up routine from 1992: I begin to wonder if airline food has been bad for so long that it's become traditionally bad. Like haggis. This is Pen Pen eating.
I got a little writing done on the flight, but mostly read Night Watch and watched Mr. Bean. This is Pen Pen napping.
The movies were also terrible. A pair of generic rom coms. One had Sandra Bullock. The other had James van der Beek. Or Kirk Cameron. Or James Cameron. I didn't really watch either. This is Pen Pen watching the movies.
I got a nasty migraine during the descent. I really hate flying. It's the worst method of travel humanly concievable. There are few thing I hate more than flying. It goes flying, mushrooms, nazis. But we landed safely. This is Pen Pen sampling the local culture.
I got my first stamp in my brand new passport then promptly found a Starbucks and got a bottle of Evian. Germany: it's just like America except I have absolutely no idea what anyone's saying. This is Pen Pen getting his drink on.
Here's this song I wrote this one time. You should download it and share it with your friends.

Let's Get Lost (Alternate Mix) by nathanleigh

No comments:

Post a Comment