Monday, October 11, 2010

Adventure #23: Fall 2010 Tour (Day 8)

Adventure #23: Fall 2010 Tour (Day 8)

Around noonish the clump of people who fells asleep watching Shutter Island started to stir. I had breakfast, and ended up having a long conversation about various forms of Sci-Fi geekery with JD. I finally got on the road about 1 and headed off to Quincy, Il. I was providing the PA for the night, so I wanted to get there early to get everything set up. I was stressing because it seemed like I would just barely make it there on time, with maybe an hour to kill to find some food before the show. Then I remembered about Time Zones! So when I saw a sign for Springfield, IL (Lincoln's home town) with all sorts of signs about “historical attractions,” I pulled over. This is Pen Pen glad we're not on the holoshed because a 30 foot tall evil Abraham Lincoln would destroy us all.



I drove downtown to the historic neighborhood where Lincoln lived. It was already 4:30 so the tours were over and the exhibits were starting to close up. When I was a kid, I was a huge Lincoln buff, so it was actually pretty cool. Then I grew up and discovered that despite having freed the slaves, he was actually sort of a racist ass, and my Lincoln love never quite recovered. Nevertheless, the town of Springfield has wholly embraced Honest Abe and essentially converted their city into a shrine to him. This is Pen Pen reenacting the mid-1800s when penguins still roamed wild around the streets of Illinois.





Around 6, I got back on the road, and headed back on the road to Quincy. I drove through miles of farmland, suddenly wondering if I've eaten food grown in these fields. Also suddenly remembering that Sim Farm was a great game, and that I should get a DOS emulator for Linux. Nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd. I made it to Quincy as the sun set over the cornfields, and started setting up. This is Pen Pen making a total mess of their club.





I guess the other out of town act, Spence Mulder, canceled, so it was just me and The Sharrows, two twin sisters who sing in really tight harmonies. They're a local act, and brought out a ton of people. Most of whom stuck around for my set; at least the beginning of it. The crowd that stuck around started calling out covers, and I did my best to oblige; culminating in an entirely mumbled cover of The Goo Goo Dolls' Iris. I wrapped it up around 1, and the bar manager said everyone had to leave so they didn't get in trouble with the cops. That included the guy who had offered to let me crash on his couch (it's a very comfortable couch, he bragged). Good times. So I decided to head part of the way to Milwaukee, and find a camp site. This is Pen Pen watching some Mighty Boosh before passing out in the van.





This is a song I wrote this one time. You should download it and share it with your friends.

The Ocean by nathanleigh

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for playing a great set. We wish the best on the rest of your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for having me kurt! i had a great time. next time i'm swinging through, i'll drop you a line!

    ReplyDelete