Saturday, October 9, 2010

Adventure #21: Fall 2010 Tour (Day 6)

Adventure #21: Fall 2010 Tour (Day 6)

I woke up around 8 to the sound of Rooster, Devan and Claire's cat, running at full speed back and forth across the room. For a moment, I missed Katy's cat Fatty (aka Fatty2Dope). Just a moment. I was having none of it, so I curled back up and passed back out. I woke up again at 9 remembering that Harrisburg is 8 hours away, and not getting any closer. The police were generous enough to leave me a $30 ticket on my car. Great. This is Pen Pen cursing whatever mounty left that ticket and the horse he rode in on.


At the border, I decided to make things easy on myself and just told them I did theatre sound (hence the gear). Apparently so does the border guard's brother. He couldn't remember the tour he was on, and I didn't recognize the name. Still, small world. This is Pen Pen surprised they had a special line for birds to cross the border.





The trip through New York and Pennsylvania was mostly small country roads. I got turned around once or twice, and resolved that as soon as I can, I'm buying a GPS. Relying on hand scrawled directions from Google Maps, is maybe not the best system for navigating the country. I can't imagine how people did this in the dark ages when they only had AAA maps. I made it to Harrisburg around 6 and headed straight for Messiah College where I was playing. Harrisburg is a small city (especially for a state capital...I had always assumed it was Pittsburg) but quite pretty. This is Pen Pen admiring the Romanesque bridges that span the river.





The show was a total DIY affair. We played in what was basically a dorm common area. I spent most of the night hanging out with Kyle Rictor and his wife Kelsey who played right before me. Apparently they had played at All Asia the week before I did. Again, small world. Or perhaps it's a big world, and I just go a lot of places. Either way. The show itself was a lot of fun. I played totally unplugged on top of a dresser to the various residents of the dorm. After the show, Phil, the guy who set it up, made us all dinner. Although it's a far cry from places like Piano's, I love playing this sort of show. Playing to people who are genuinely attentive and enthusiastic, and not just mildly appreciative of the background noise, is one of the best feelings in the world. I'll definitely be coming back here. Show #6: Victory. Next up: the longest drive in the world, to Indianapolis. This is Pen Pen calling the top bunk.





This is a song I wrote this one time. You should download it and share it with your friends.

Apart by nathanleigh

No comments:

Post a Comment