Monday, October 4, 2010

Adventure #18: Fall 2010 Tour (Day 3)

Adventure #18: Fall 2010 Tour (Day 3)

My car is sort of a mess. I only drive it long distances, or to gigs, so it's full of various food packaging, ancient sheet music, cracked CDs, and scrawled directions to various places I'll probably never go again. I clean it about once a year. Usually less. As such, the occasion is celebrated in several small island nations as an omen of a good harvest. They sacrifice ducks and offer burnt offerings. It's a lot of fun, I'm told. I woke up early and emptied the car, filled a trash bag with various paper and mail, and played an elaborate game of Tetris trying to repack all the things I need to bring along with me. And yes, I sang the song in my head. Also, out loud. This is Pen Pen achieving victory over my trunk.


Before I hit the road, my mom took me out to lunch at Johnny's in Newton Center. They have the best french fries. About 2 minutes onto the Mass Pike, my little car tape adapter thingie started cutting in and out. At first I thought it was just Radiohead, but when Shellac came on and it kept going I figured it out. Always test your audio gear with Shellac. I contemplated finding a piece of metal to stick in the socket and try to resolder it, but that seemed like maybe not a good idea. Luckily I had a roll of duct tape and was able to do a quick fix. About 20 minutes later the little check tire pressure light came on. Hooray! I refilled the air in the tires and headed back out. 5 minutes later the check pressure light came back on. Then it started raining. I spent the rest of the drive to Troy convinced of my impending death. Needless to say, I drove slowly. This is Pen Pen hoping he remembers how to change a tire.


Luckily, I didn't die in a horrible fiery cataclysm somewhere on the Mass Pike. Troy, NY reminds me a lot of Worcester. A former industrial center that the industry has mostly abandoned. Lots of warehouses and turn of the century houses with brightly painted brick. The Flavour Cafe and Lounge is located in the “Little Italy” neighborhood. I showed up and decided to explore the neighborhood a little bit. This is Pen Pen contemplating ditching the show and playing bingo instead.


The show was small, but fun. Nancy and Frank, Nate's mom and step-dad showed up. Frank had to leave halfway through but Nancy stuck around the whole time. I played for a handful of people who were generally attentive. There was a man in the back of the room who either gave me “polite applause” or more intent applause with a little nod that said “I approve of that one.” I appreciated the degrees of his appreciation. It was an appreciative ouroboros. This is Pen Pen guarding my stuff from my legions of rabid fans in Troy.


After the show I checked my tires. Still losing air. I decided first thing in the morning I'd pick up new tires. The last thing I need right now is to be stranded in the middle of nowhere in somewhere like Ohio, where I don't even speak the native language. They call soda “pop.” Soda is the name of the chemical that makes it pop, jerks. One describes what it is, the other describes what it does. I followed Nancy back to her and Frank's house a few towns over and set up in their guest room. She made me a grilled cheese sandwich with imported (by her) Irish cheddar. Yum. Next up: The Bug Jar in Rochester, NY. There are no details on the website, so I have no idea who else is playing. It'll be an adventure! This is Pen Pen relaxing with a beer after a long day of travel of not-dying.


This is a song I wrote this one time. You should download it and share it with your friends.

Breathing In Fast by nathanleigh

1 comment:

  1. I didn't realize you were actually going to stay with them! Awesome. And isn't that cheddar AMAZING?

    ReplyDelete