Sunday, July 28, 2013

Adventures 76 - 78: Pittsfield, Agawam, and Binghamton

When I first started touring as a solo act 3 years ago it was as much out of defiance as anything else. The life I'd made for myself looked nothing at all like the life I'd always thought I'd lead. I hadn't intended to become a sound designer. I'd intended to be a writer, a composer, and a performer. But sound design was fun and close enough to the thing I really wanted to do, so it was OK for a while. But as theatre companies came to know me only as a sound designer, and people I considered friends were dismissive of my ambitions as a writer (“aw that's cute! The designer thinks he can write plays! No, Nathan, we write the plays. You make them sound good. OK?” or my personal favorite “we've hired this amazing composer for this project! You're really going to like working with him.” “But I'm a composer...” “I know! That's why you'll work so well together!”) I came to be irrationally resentful of my successes as a designer, and the only thing I could think to do was to make a clean break for a little while and head off on the road.

It's been three years, and certainly the trajectory has not been what I'd expected. It's been harder, more exhausting, and more thankless than I'd ever thought possible. It's also been better, more fulfilling, and more incredible than I could have ever imagined. And though I'm still quite far from where I want to be, every once in a while, it's good to take a second and appreciate where you are. So that was the story when after a fairly lackluster afternoon show in a coffee shop in Pittsfield, MA, I got ambushed by a million messages of congratulations. “I assume you've seen this...” they all said. “Seen what?”I thought to myself. And then I did. A stellar review for Icarus, the latest play to nearly kill me, in the New York Times. Having my songs compared to Kurt Weill in the New York Times? I'll take it. (I'm trying to take the comparison to Mumford and Sons as the compliment I think it was intended as...) I'm still not totally sure how to process it. Right now: gratitude. More rational thoughts can come later. This is Pen Pen doing his best not to totally embarrass himself by doing cartwheels in a coffee shop.


So I headed to Agawam for the real show. 30 or 40 kids piled into a kitchen in a punk house next to a church. Kowabunga! Kid opened and were awesome as always. I snagged one of their 7”s and am a little sad to hear they wont be touring much in the future. Thus ends the triumphant and unintentional 48 hour Kowabunga! Kid / Nathan Leigh Northeast Tour of 2013. I also got a cassette. They have cassettes. Word. CJB are this rad ska band from Detroit. I confess to making fun of their “PNKROCK” vanity plate as they pulled it, but they were really sweet guys and a killer band. So I'm OK with them having a goofy license plate. There are worse things in the world. Like Mumford and Sons. Dérive finished off the electric part of the evening with some mind-bending prog indie rock. It was a little weird closing out the night as an acoustic act. I was by a wide margin the quietest act of the night, but the crowd seemed determined to fix that by shouting along as loudly as possible. It was awesome. Truly truly awesome. This is Pen Pen pimping it in the grimiest lounge chair in Agawam, MA.



I made it back to Brooklyn, determined to sleep in my own bed one last time before 4 weeks of uncertainty. The next morning I'd frantically get up. Finish the last minute cleaning and packing I'd intended to do before I left, and then try to see Icarus one last time and give my cast my love before skipping town again. This is Pen Pen enjoying the glory that is one's own bed.



As usual, I was late for coffee with the prodigal Carson before we headed to the show. (I'm nothing if not a sucker for awkward situations.) But it was really wonderful seeing the show, this time with the certainty that other people seemed to like this bizarre little Folk Opera we'd created. For once I wasn't second guessing every decision. Every note a resounding question. “Should this have been an A? It would be better if it were an A.” The notes are what they were, and it seems like people were enjoying the order I put them in. That's cool. And it was really wonderful seeing Carson again after 4 months. If all of my friendships are going to persist in being truly strange, I'm at least glad to have strange friendships with good people. This is Pen Pen battling New York like an American Godzilla who is also a penguin and winning.



On my way out of town (again) I swung by Ma's House to pick up a bag of zines to distro on my travels. No luck in finding a copy of yesterday's New York Times. The folks at the bodegas I asked thought I was crazy “No. We only have today's. Why do you want yesterday's?” Because I want documented proof that The Man thinks I'm cool, OK? (Does this mean I have to stop bucking The Man and trashing the general inadequacy of the Mainstream Media at every opportunity? I hope not. I really don't have a whole lot of other topics of conversation at my disposal...) This is Pen Pen preparing to spread Anarcho zines through the country like an anti-Capitalist Johnny Appleseed!



Saturday's show in Binghamton was small, but still fun. We'll go with intimate? Yeah, intimate sounds good. But people who were there were the right people, and it made it into a really enjoyable night. Also there was this couple who kept asking for preposterous covers (“Laughing Gnome!” “Me and My Arrow!” “Coldplay!”) Part of me feels like this is the real first night of the tour. The other part of me is having trouble telling where one adventure ends and another begins. We like to compartmentalize our stories. We like them to have a beginning, middle, and end. And then another one begins. Chapters. Sequels. In the biopic, my story would end with a glowing review in the Times of my new musical. A triumphant button on 3 years of struggle and sickness. In reality, the story is just beginning. This is Pen Pen telling you about the town of Stockbridge, Massachusetts, where this happened here, they got three stop signs, two police officers and one police car, but when we got to the scene of the crime there was five police officers and three police cars, being the biggest crime of the last fifty years and everybody wanted to get in the newspaper story about it.



This is a song I wrote one time. You should download it and share with your friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment