Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Adventure #80: Berea, Ohio

One of the few pieces of wisdom imparted from my dad was this: “Getting old is mandatory, growing up is not.” It's bizarre that as a young(ish) guy in my late 20s, I often feel like an “elder” in the scene. Our life expectancy as humans keeps getting longer, but our life expectancy as musicians is the same as it was in the 10th century. So sayeth the bard (by which I mean Bowie) “we live for just these 20 years / do we have to die for 50 more?”

On my way out of Buffalo, Reactivi said we should stop and visit this jazz pianist named Boyd Lee in his nursing home if I wanted to meet a true Buffalo legend. Despite having been around some of the greats (and apocryphally having studied piano under Count Basie), Boyd never recorded until his 80's. Now 87, he's warm, but stubborn. Wry, impish, and brilliant, he actively refuses to play something the same way twice. He plays for us for half an hour, before asking me to play for him. I tell him I'm not much of a pianist, and I only know a few songs from memory. He tells me he doesn't want to hear me play songs, he wants to hear me play the piano. It takes a little while for the distinction to set in. I promise that next time I'm in Buffalo, I'll come back and actually play the piano for him. Now I have a new goal. Men like Boyd Lee, and also Charles Bradley, and hell even Danny Brown (who at 31 is nearly 10 years older than any of hip-hop's other current rising stars...) are proof that you can get older without losing the spark that inspired you in the first place. Our culture of youth fetishization isn't actually real, and creativity doesn't die on your 30th birthday. Even though sometimes it can feel that way. This is Pen Pen wondering how long before Jimmy Iovine starts hunting for the stars of tomorrow here.


I made it to the show in Berea that Wes from All Over the Place had set up. He had been supposed to play the Acoustic Fest with me at the Vatican't, but when that fell through, they cut their tour short and headed back to Berea. Too bad, could have had another 48 hour micro-tour! Most of the folks at the show were still in high school or college freshmen or sophomores. I briefly felt suddenly very old. “Are you done with school yet?” I'm asked. Yeah. I've been done with school for a while. But after the obligatory 15 minutes of feeling awkward and out of place I began to feel very much at home. The real fact is that the community of DIY artists is about ideas not age even if my youthful obsession with Minor Threat had made it feel that way. This is Pen Pen staring down his sworn enemy: the Lawn Gnome... “oh you take pictures of your penguin in new places? Like a travel gnome?” “NO! It's nothing like a travel gnome, it's a travel Penguin! David the Gnome was boring and lame. But Chilly Willy the Penguin was dope. End of debate.”



At the end of my set I do my usual spiel “I have CDs and T-shirts for sale. I also have a box of anti-capitalist zines for free, if anyone's interested in smashing the system!” I head over to the picnic table set up for merch, and the dudes from one of the bands walk over. “I'm very interested in the anti-capitalist zines! How much are they?” “Free!” I say, “they wouldn't be very anti-capitalist if I were selling them, would they?” These are the moments when I'm OK with being old. In a weird way, I am an “elder” in the scene. And I wouldn't be who I am now, had other scene “elders” (now in their mid-30s...) not turned me on to ideas about self-reliance and sustainable art when I was younger. Being an elder might actually be a good thing, I think. This is Pen Pen settling down for a feast of crackers, peanut butter, and Negro Modello, two Lawn Gnomes watching warily in the background; that's right Lawn Gnomes: be afraid, be very afraid.


This is a song I wrote one time. You should download it and share it with your friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment