Sunday, February 24, 2013

Adventure #68: Kalamazoo, Michigan


If there's been a theme for this tour it's been narrowly averted disaster. On Monday I got an e-mail from the place I was supposed to play in Kalamazoo saying the show was off. The bill fell apart and there wasn't anything they could do. That growing feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach. But they'd try to find something else for me in town. Hollow promise, I'm sure. Well, within about half an hour I got a message. “We found you a show at this place Louie's Trophy Room. It's all set up. Here's who to get in touch with.” People like that are rare. I'm a firm believer that what matters isn't whether you screw up or not, but how you fix it when you do. So in that respect, Ian from The Black Lodge is beyond reproach as far as I'm concerned. This is Pen Pen conquering the Arctic of Michigan.


So all things considered, it was a pretty great night. All the acts were awesome, and just genuinely nice folks. Spent the night hanging out and joking around with the other bands. I've been fortunate this tour that everywhere I've played for the first time people have really made me feel at home. There are some shows you play and at the end of the night, save maybe a little cash from the door, you can't help but wonder if it would have made any difference if you hadn't played that night. I haven't had any of those this time around. Pretty much every show has ended meeting new bands and new friends that I hope to see again. I crashed out at this guy Patrick's place outside Kalamazoo. We stayed up till 3 watching Pete and Pete and discussing the finer points of Polaris' music. Conclusion: Polaris is awesome and I want a Petunia tattoo now. This is Pen Pen becoming friends with a bison.



This is a song I wrote one time. You should download it and share with your friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment