Sunday, February 17, 2013

Adventure #61 and 62: Burtonsville, MD and Blacksburg, VA

Someday I wont be late to the first show of every tour. (Someday I wont be late for most things.) That day is not today. Before hitting the road, I had a production meeting for QueerSpawn, dropped off files for an artist I'm producing, finished making a screen for T-shirts for a climate change protest in DC, and stopped by the Afropunk office. So I see being only half an hour late as a significant accomplishment. Do all the things! This is Pen Pen making T-shirts.



Why are you making T-shirts for a song that you recorded 4 years ago and has already appeared on 2 albums you're probably not asking? Because those 2 albums are almost out of print, but I still play the song a lot, and I don't feel like pressing up new copies for one song. So I'm making a new EP. Also the winter of my discontent has left me with a glut of new songs that need a home. Oh right. The show. The show at Chapala was pretty rad. Lilly and Javier showed up which is always a good time. And despite the whiplash inducing bill (Folk-punk! Garage rock! Dubstep! More garage rock! Nerdcore!), the other bands were awesome. Especially Black Checker and Hip-hop Mcdougal (who win my eternal love and affection for working a Bartleby the Scrivener reference into one of their songs). This is Pen Pen being mauled by a cat.



The drive through the snow and sleet didn't leave much time for adventuring on the way to Blacksburg. I made it down to 622 North just in time to load in and scarf down the best damn gorgonzola pizza south of the Mason Dixon. Long bar shows can be tough. You get paid. You get treated well. But you always know you're background music. So you try to pepper it with enough covers to get people's attention and hope you can hold it through a few originals. I'm long past the days when I'd take any of that personally though. I'm cool with you not paying any attention to “Family of Ghosts” if you dig my cover of “Billie Jean.” I'm not here to make aht, I'm here because performing for people is the best thing in the world. But the bar was busy and there were some folks who stuck around all night, so we all had a good time. I crashed with this guy Robbie (and his giant dog) who I bonded with over our shared affection for old Deep Elm bands. (I don't care what you say. The Emo Diaries are still intermittently amazing.) Also Less Than Jake. This is Pen Pen apparently disproving that no one listens to ska anymore (The raver. Too ridiculous to ever describe.)



This is a song I wrote this one time. You should download it and share with your friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment