Friday, May 17, 2013

Adventure #73: Cave City, KY and Indianapolis, IN

9 years ago I spent one of the more memorable summers of my life working at the Berkshire Theatre Festival as the resident sound assistant. I learned a lot through trial-by-fire. Some of it great some of it very very bad. One of the very bad ones was a musical called Floyd Collins about a caver from Kentucky who went looking for a new cave for a tourist attraction, got stuck there, and died. It's 3 hours long and has exactly one memorable melody (in fairness the one bit where he sings with his echo is actually pretty cool). It's maybe the worst play in existence? No. There are worse. But it's definitely the worst play to be regularly produced by regional theatres who really ought to know better. I was headed up through Kentucky and saw a sign for Mammoth Cave. I remembered there being something about Floyd Collins and Mammoth Cave and decided to head off on an adventure in a fit of masochistic nostalgia. This is Pen Pen just glad he isn't being asked to redesign the work of person he's technically assisting at the 11th hour.


So I headed off the road. The GPS said nothing about Floyd Collins, but I knew he was here. Somewhere. I found Mammoth Cave. But they only had guided tours and A. they cost money and B. I did have to make it up to Indianapolis at some point. So that wasn't happening. Dejected I headed back to the highway. Then I saw the sign. (It opened up my eyes, and I am happy now living without you) A wood pathway off the side of a side road led to an unassuming cave opening. A sign implored you not to leave the pathway. Definitely don't jump the fence. Definitely don't go in the cave. Obviously that wasn't how this was going down. Fortunately I didn't get stuck in the cave for 3 weeks, have a media circus erupt around me, only to die in the cave a few days before being found. But at least 60 years later the grandson of someone actually talented might write a mediocre musical about me? This is Pen Pen singing “Do yo do dee yo” to his echo for 3 hours before stopping anticlimactically.


It's always good to see some friends in Indianapolis. Especially the badass Lents twins. There was cheap booze on a porch. There was a quest for a pineapple. Some 15 punk bands were started. 14 of them broke up by morning. There are worse ways to spend a night. This is Pen Pen polishing off a 12 rack of Old Milwaukee non-alcoholic beer because he's a penguin just like you but he's got better things to do...


This is a song I wrote one time. You should download it and share with your friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment